Thursday, December 10, 2009

Fireflies by Owl City

Thank My Space for Fireflies, 'cause that is where this song came from. Electronic pop with fantastic, fanciful lyrics.
Adam Young wrote music in the basement of his parent's house in Owatonna, Minnesota. In the song he sings,
I get a thousand hugs
from 10 thousand lightning bugs
I'm much to tired to fall asleep
Adam Young is young, he is only 20 years old and "Fireflies" made it to #1 on Billboard's top 100 songs. Owl City is a musical project with Adam Young and so called "synthpop" music. On my daughter's computer, this song is called "electronica". It is kind of Disney like to me, like a cartoon, except when the chorus comes in strong with a kind of rock feel you realize that it is a rock n' roll song. On the Owl City site there are free songs along with Fireflies to listen to, one is called "Strawberry Avalanche" and "Hot Air Balloon". In the first song he sings, "this is a world of dreams and reverie". In "Hot Air Balloon" he sings, "We will stir the stars around...thinking of the weekend we were in love."
I think I know what he is singing of in Fireflies, it is that magical moment when you drift off to sleep. It is the doorway between being awake and your dreams in which magical and whimsical thoughts may occur to you. At the end he sings, "I fall asleep."
My 16 year old daughter was playing this song on our computer over and over and I thought it perfect for a 16 year old, not realizing at the time that the rest of the world loves "Fireflies" too.

No comments:

Post a Comment