Sunday, May 10, 2009

The Goo-Goo Dolls

The Goo-Goo Dolls state they got their name when on a night of drinking they were throwing out all kinds of wild ideas for a name and the name they chose was the one that made them all laugh. As they knew the name doesn't matter what does is the music.
The lead singer has a marvelous voice that can fall down into deep registers and I love the air of authority he sings with. The songs have drama and wonderful lyrics and you immediately like these songs. I am a person who loves words, and this guy sings songs that mean something and it is never anything obvious and it is always something that makes you think. I like that. It reminds me of Kansas, and how the words made you think of other things. The Goo-Goo Dolls are interesting enough to listen to without doing anything else, to pay close attention to. I don't even know or care what these songs are about, they are so beautiful. The song "Name" is one of the songs requested most often to be played on the radio of all time I have been told and that does not suprise me. There are songs that I do not like, but the greatness of the ones I do is well-worth the cost of the CD.
I am interested that this band is about these two guys who were childhood friends. The song "Broadway" is not about New York City. It is the name of the surburban street these two friends lived on when they were growing up. There has been a great tradition in rock of bands with two guys writing songs. The most obvious duo is Lennon and McCartney, there is Aerosmith, Brooks and Dunn, Richards and Jagger, and many more than I know and can name. It seems like having 2 songwriters working together has brought us some of the world's greatest music. Maybe it is just the magic of friendship.

No comments:

Post a Comment