Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Tori Amos Scarlett's Walk

I think Scarlett's Walk is the best CD I own. Tori Amos is an artist I've grown to love, but I didn't take to her right away. These songs are very much like songs you've heard before, only done much better this time.
There is a song that is suitable as background music or for a meditation room, there is a dancing song that has you tapping your foot and a love song that isn't like any love song you've ever heard. She is what you've heard before with things you've never heard before. She is caught in her own passion when she sings and she doesn't sing for you, she sings for herself.
In one song she pauses and hits one note on the piano six times, nothing else, just this one note and it's perfect.
"Don't Make Me Come to Vegas"
don't make me kick him out of your bed
I am vigilant
'cause it could be done and it has been done and I think I am
up to it.
don't make me come to Vegas don't make me kick him out of
your head
but with the desert's kiss
she will slip into your net
Over my dead body
A couple of these songs are about rescueing some young lady from a rascal or cad who has taken her to Vegas, and it must be quite some story.
I saw her on Johnny Carson in what I swear looked like a prom dress that was huge, yellow on top and a white skirt. Her leg she swings over to the side like in the photo when she plays the piano, must be a habit of hers I guess.
The lyrics are so great and she sings with a crystal clarity I've never heard before in anyone's voice. I am stunned, happily stunned by her.
These songs are too deep to come from anywhere else but her own life. I think it is poignant when a singer sings her own songs from deep inside her own heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment