Sunday, September 27, 2009

Sabian Symbols


The Sabian symbols were created in 1925 and are widely used in astrology. The clairvoyant Elsie Wheeler who was in wheelchair for much of her life was the one receiving these images. Marc Edmund Jones was the author of the book but it was Elsie Wheeler who saw the images in her mind's eye. She had clients and was tired of the same old questions such as how do I get rich or when will I meet the love of my life? She wanted to make a more lasting contribution. She said herself that on some of the symbols she felt she had lost focus, so these symbols are be taken as something that may or may not be true. They are to inspire you and if they don't, discarded as useless.
The Sabians were an ancient race living in Mesopotamia, where astrology is said to have originated. The ancient Chaldeans then took up astrology.
Each degree of the zodiac has a Sabian symbol. If your degree is exact at 15 degrees 0 minutes then you read the 15 degree symbol, if it is 15 degrees one minute then you read the symbol for 16 degrees. I found this on a site on the internet, hope this is right!
For example, the Sabian symbol for 15 degrees of my Mercury is, "In a hospital, the children's ward is filled with toys." I think this reflects how words, and a love of language, is healing for me. It links the childlike wonder and the powerful imagination of children at play with their toys with the planet of communication. Reading books was my way out of a terrible childhood, it was like removing myself from the pain of my world into another.
My Mars has the Sabian symbol, "A man expresses himself in 2 worlds at once." To be sure, I have loved books about entering other worlds such as Narnia, the Amber books, and Lord of the Rings.
The planet of inspiration is Uranus and mine has this strange Sabian symbol that seems to sum everything up.
Uranus 7 degrees: The wonder of the constellations of stars in the night sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment