Monday, March 2, 2009

Books

I was reading about how Kurt Vonnegut has written a book explaining his views and thinking how I really have to get that book. To put it plainly, there is a lot I read that I feel I do not understand. I think we need a few pages at the end of the book, a summing up of what the author intended because doofus old me, sometimes I just don't know. Ayn Rand is another author I feel I want to understand, and Ursula LeGuin. I wouldn't change a thing about the books understand, and I don't want to interfere with the creation of art, just a little explanation please!
I love ideas and the exchange of ideas, but what I usually get in my conversations with others is gossip. That is okay, but sometimes I want something deeper which is why I read and I want to read something by someone smarter than me or else I wouldn't learn anything. I so enjoyed reading what Stephen King has written about how he came to write certain stories and the motivation behind what he has written. Thanks Mr. King! I want a personal note from the authors themselves. I remember I was so shocked when I read that the guy who wrote "Flowers for Algernon" was himself in therapy. I thought authors were like gods on Mt. Olympus, throwing down books like Zeus with lightning bolts, people so extraordinary that they lived in some other land thinking weighty thoughts all the time. I guess what I am getting to here is theme, what was the meaning and what was the idea? There is this world, this everyday world all stained and snarled, and there is book world. In book world life is better than life and there is a reason for things. It is a whole thing, all of a piece that stands by itself that took a long time to write, much longer than it took for me to read it. After finishing a book I can be somewhat stunned and searching inward for answers and feeling the book as something I have experienced. Of course, with a lot of books the point is quite clear, the boy meets girl book or the book that scares or the book that paints pictures saying here, here is how life is over here, see?
After reading perhaps millions of books over half a lifetime I guess I am saying I want more. Perhaps some books are written just to get people thinking and have no actual point at all other than themselves and that is fine for those books, for some of us unfamiliar with the ideas the author plays with-a little help would be oh so nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment