Sunday, March 1, 2009

Tori Amos


Tori Amos blew me away with her songs and her piano playing, and like most people I want to tell everybody, "you should listen to this!" I was watching television when I first heard the melodious sounds of "Another Fairytale With You" and I knew I had to hear more. This singer is a girl, a fairy and a goddess and if you listen you will know what I mean. She hails from North Carolina, where another songwriter close to my heart is from, James Taylor. I've never heard her on the radio, but there are a lot of Tori Amos fans. I have to wonder, what else am I missing that this wonderful artist has been here for so long and I was unaware of her existance?
When I was a child I was often alone. I used to sing to myself because all music was forbidden in my household and I loved music so much. That is what Tori's songs remind me of, those songs that I used to sing for myself. One song is about a woman trapped in a painting hanging on the wall. "I will be safe in my frame" she sings and it makes me shiver with an otherworldly feeling. What a great songwriter! Her voice is pure crystal tones and she leads you down a mystical pathway. Tori Amos has stated "Something happens to me when I sing." and it is true she does not sing like other singers.
When Madonna sings she does so in a self-conscious way, and many others. When Tori Amos sings it is like you have wandered far away from where you were, you open a door and find yourself in a room in a castle with tapestries on the wall and in the corner is a red-headed girl singing for the pure singular joy of singing, singing for herself, singing for the pure joy of music, singing with the knowledge that musical notes are magic spells.

2 comments:

  1. Tori Amos is someone I haven't heard/thought about in quite some time. But your description of her music and how it makes you feel are very close to how I remember her sounding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forget that I sometimes get into Blogger accounts with my old Google ID.

    Dominique
    http://www.midwestguest.com

    ReplyDelete